6.05.2010

Investment

 "In finance, the purchase of a financial product or other item of value with an expectation of favorable future returns. In general terms, investment means the use money in the hope of making more money." 

Okay just imagine for a second if we changed our view of what investment is suppose to be into how our relationship should be with other Christians..."In Relationships, a relationship of value with an expectation of favorable future returns (ministry, serving, growing, ect.). In general terms, investment means the pouring into a relationship in hope of making more successful leaders of God. Wouldn't that change the way you treat your relationships with your friends or people you don't know? I know it has for me.
This thought started ringing around my head about almost a month ago when me and my hubby went away to celebrate our one year anniversary :). After our trip we decided to met up with someone who is and has made a huge impact in my life (my old mentor/youth leader). Rewind several years ago, I was attending a small church with a phenomenal youth group who was on fire for God! A youth group that believed that if you discipled one person a year that would lead to over 1,000 people a year being discipled and living some passionate lives for Christ.  My youth pastor and his wife invested there lives in us. They lived at the church with us basically...youth leader meetings, small groups, battle of the bands, events, breaking dancing competitions, all night praise and worship. Each time leading us and guiding us on how to grow as young Christian youth. I never really realized there impact until I met with my youth pastors wife. We were eating and I talked about the current youth group I serve in and how excited I am about the relationships i'm forming.
On the ride home as I began to look at the last few years of my life I began to realize how there investment has made me the person I am. Missions to Liberty to various church leadership to now serving in youth ministry. They took time to invest in me and now I want to invest in someone else.
Last night was our Middle School Girls Sleepover. The girls shared about many thoughts and struggles they have and as I spoke about how God has brought me through those very many experiences I couldn't help but think...if I invest in these girls life...I wonder if they will turn out as beautiful God fearing girls who will go through the same experiences as I did but with people who care and are investing in there lives fighting for them to be God Leaders, God Changers, God followers like my youth pastors wife did for me. I know its a risk, I get tired, I get weary, I think sometimes those girls don't need me but last night as i talked to those girls I couldn't help being so excited that one day my investment may help impact there lives :)
I'm so thankful to God for the many investments he made in my life to grow me to the Christian Women I am today. Obviously i'm not perfect but his investments in me were worth it because I am choosing to invest in other girls and guys like me and hopefully guide them on how to be stronger Christians. God is perfect in his creation...just the whole principle of investment and discipleship in ministry is such a beautiful process!
I challenge you this week invest in the life of a friend, brother, sister, mother, father...the risk might be much but it is far worth it in the end!

No comments: