6.17.2008

Judgements


Today was wonderful day in practicum i realized how much i truly enjoyed the people on my team and am so glad to be in the program with them they bring such laughter to me in times i need it most in class! So today while i was school i realized something huge...actually its more like a lesson learned about me and judgements. Don't we all do it...You see the person on the street dressed in low hanging pants and some ghetto attire and Tims and you make a judgement whether good or bad you make a judgement in your head about this person and you don't even know them. Wow thats horrible! How can we let ourselves do that as christians?!?! i used to be the one to say pass no judgement on man or women but today i learned that i do pass judgements on people and don't even know it! Let me explain as some of you know i am grad school at nova and like every other college there are people you like and there are people you don't like. Obviously as social as i am i made friends quickly in my program only to associate with people i can tolerate and enjoy there company yeah i know other people in the program but i just rather stay away from them but i mean u see them in all you classes so you learn to be aquitances. Well this happened with the "orange girls" (a term me and my friends made up) for this group of girls from New York (need i say more) They were loud, in your face type of people and i wasn't down for drama. So i stayed clear from them...but i did notice the times they would interupt class with there noisey phone conversations, or the times they would spend 3 hrs. whipsering in class while i was trying to listen to the teacher talk, or the vulgar things i heard them say about people in the program. Than there was an incident one day in class i read a paper about muslims well of course them being contraversial they ate my poor friend alive for making a comment. Now i'm sure some of you are thinking what my judgement of them at this point was...need i say more it was not very good. The only thing i knew was what i saw or heard from others about the mean things they would say and so like many of us do at times i based my judgements and opinions of them on those things and didn't care to get to know them....to me they were just the orange girls. Ha! Well did God know what he was doing to me this semster when he put them in my practicum. See practicum is for 6 hrs. one day a week for 12 weeks...and there are only 6 people in little room talking about clients. I was not happy about it more nervous that i would end up not getting along with them. Even more excited to see how they did therapy because i heard it wasn't that good (see this is horrible these judgements!) So the semster started and the first day to my suprise they were really nice...and as the semster has gone on they have been nothing but nice to me...What the heck? (was i wrong!) and so here we are with only 3 weeks left and today as i was sitting there i realized what a jerk i've been...These girls are the sweetest girls...yes they can be loud, and vulgar and a funny but they are truly really sweet girls who would do anything for you. And so here comes the guilt and shame that me being a christian would pass so much judgement on people like this without ever getting to know them. That i let others opinions and personal biases blind what i thought about them and how i treated them. They have been sweet, caring, loving and brought lots of joy to my tuesdays! In fact they are the some of the greatest therapist i know! They have grown so much and i am proud to be in the program with them. Today i learned a lesson that we sometimes forget...don't pass judgement, assumptions, or opinions on people based on what others say...get to know the person first! This can even extend as far to say don't judge a book by its cover! Another words don't judge someone by there appearance God calls us to love and just really show his love...how can we by not making judgements and getting to know that person for what God created them to be a unique wonderfully made person with some kind of signifance! How can we promote community if cannot put our judgements aside and just get to know people!?! I mean God didn't pass judgement on any man...in fact he embraced them with love...look at the prostitute or the tax collector God looked at them like his beautifully created creation! If we look at it this way than we can't possibly pass judgment (i'm not saying we won't because we will were humans but its helps) I'm so glad that God taught me this lesson today...because it just helps me realize that i need to be conscious of these things because how i react to those things really says alot about who i am...and how i treat people. I want to be God's love pouring out of me! I want to be community to others and so i can't judge a book by its cover i need to read in the book before anything!

Feel like reading here are some verses i found about judgement that helped me:

Matt. 7:1-5 and James 4:11-12

No comments: